When it comes to making Tonkatsu, my mom is an expert. Her recipe is the BOMB!!!
Yesterday, the kids and I had Tonkatsu for dinner and they usually eat it without sauce, but I like to make the KOREAN STYLE sauce that they sell at little restaurants in Korea.
This sauce right here is my favorite sauce to go with Tonkatsu.
Its super easy to make and very very tasty!
This was my table setting yesterday before the sauce.
When the sauce was poured onto the tonkatsu…. it looked like this.
If you’ve been to Korea and you like to eat the tonkatsu that they sell in most Korean tonkatsu places, you probably know of this sauce already.
You probably know what it tastes like too.
For the sauce, you need a key ingredient. With out this you cannot make this sauce taste like it should.
That ingredient is this.
So basically, you can purchase this hash sauce powder at any Korean Supermarket. It’s like curry powder, so it’s pretty good on its own. However, I like to use it, or should I say, “most Korean tonkatsu restaurants” like to use this as their base.
So here’s how you make it.
Tonkatsu Sauce Recipe:
- four table spoons of HASH powder
- 1 cup of water
- 4 table spoons of ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon of chopped garlic or a pinch of garlic powder
- 1 table spoon of sugar
- 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce (I used Prego)
- 3 table spoons of butter
- In a saucepan, mix the Hash powder, water, ketchup, sugar, garlic and spaghetti sauce (do not turn the heat on yet), stir it so that everything mixes well and so that you don’t have any lumpy powder.
- Turn the heat on to medium heat and stir occasionally.
- When the sauce comes to a boil, stir it as it boils (if you don’t stir it, you’ll have a lumpy sauce).
- While stirring, keep it at a boiling level for about three minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, add your butter and stir it so that the butter gets fully dissolved.
- Let the sauce sit on low heat for about two minutes, stir occasionally.
- Once the sauce has set, turn the heat off and pour it onto a gravy pot or kettle.
- Pour onto your tonkatsu and ENJOY!!!